Pan Asian food is known for its diet-friendly credentials and dishes based on rice, noodles and lean protein can be packed with both nutrition and punchy flavour.
Prepare a tasty vegan stir-fry by marinating tofu in fiery chilli-flavoured toasted sesame oil, and quickly flash fry with spring onions, lemongrass, Thai basil, red chilli and mint. Serve on a bed of vermicelli rice noodles and beansprouts for a main dish that’s lean and full of protein, vitamins and fibre. Step up the protein content even further by sprinkling with cashew nuts toasted in spicy chilli oil.
Salads are perfect for the summer months. Loaded with good fats and proteins, they will give any healthy eating plan a boost. Whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Worcester sauce and seasoning in a bowl. Place salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices and pitted and halved olives on a serving plate. Grill bacon until crisp and then crumble over salad. Drizzle over a little vinaigrette just before serving for a sweet and sharp taste sensation that’s sure to taste just as good as any less nutritious alternative.
Packing dishes with protein increases the satiety value, so ensure that you include lean meat, tofu, tempeh or legumes such as beans and chickpeas. With desserts, create tasty yet filling and nutritious treats by using eggs, seeds, nuts and flours such as buckwheat and coconut. This tasty chilli is vegan, gluten and dairy-free and includes superfood sweet potato which is rich in potassium, vitamin C and Vitamin B6. Fiery sriracha style chilli and garlic flavoured rapeseed oil infuses the vegetables with a spicy, rich flavour that packs a real punch.
Sweet potato & white bean chilli
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of Prep Premium Firehouse
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 large onions
- 1 large bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 4 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 800g cannellini beans
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato, place in a roasting tray, then toss with a tablespoon of Firehouse oil and a pinch each of the cinnamon, cumin and paprika.
- Spread out in an even layer, then roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions. Pick the coriander leaves, then finely chop the stalks. Roughly chop the chillis, then deseed and chop the peppers.
- Heat a tablespoon of Firehouse oil in a large pan, then add the onion, coriander stalks, chilli and peppers along with the remaining spices.
- Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the cannellini beans with their liquid, and the tinned tomatoes. Stir, adding a splash of water to loosen, if needed. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes along with most of the coriander leaves. Season to taste and top with the rest of the coriander leaves. Serve over cooked rice with some guacamole on the side.