2 large onions, sliced thinly
200g chickpea flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄2 teaspoon black onion seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1⁄2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- In a large bowl, add the chickpea flour, baking powder, rice flour, turmeric, black onion seeds, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and the water. Mix together well and then add the sliced onion - mix the onion through until well coated.
- Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a small cube of bread in - it should brown fairly slowly - not burn or go dark brown straight away.
- Carefully drop spoons of the bhaji batter in to the oil, do NOT overcrowd as they will stick together. Fry them in small batches for 1 to 2 minutes until they are a golden brown and crispy. Remove them with a slotted spoon and allow them to drain on a paper covered plate in a warm oven.
- Repeat until all the bhaji batter is finished and they are all cooked.
- Sprinkle over a little salt and serve straight away with coriander chutney or cucumber raita.