- 225g/8oz cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 110g/4oz sugar
- 480ml/17fl oz milk
- 2 free-range eggs
- 110g/4oz Whirl, plus extra for greasing
- small tin sweetcorn kernels, drained (or use fresh sweetcorn)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Grease 23cm/9in square baking pan with melted butter.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together except for the sweetcorn kernels. Mix until you have the consistency of a sponge cake batter, then add the sweetcorn.
- Stir to combine thoroughly, then pour into the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 20 minutes in the top of the oven. (Alternatively, you can bake these in a muffin tray lined with paper cases.)
- The cornbread is ready when it has a golden colour and is springy to the touch. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.