“BZT” Panini with Mozzarella, Bacon, Grilled Zucchini, and Tomato
6 slices bacon
1/2 large zucchini/Courgette, cut lengthwise into 1/4" slices
3 tbsp. Whirl
Freshly ground black pepper
1 medium yellow tomato, thinly sliced
1 medium red tomato, thinly sliced
1 loaf ciabatta, halved lengthwise
8 oz. mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Basil
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, fry bacon until golden and crispy, 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- On a baking sheet, brush zucchini/Courgette strips with 1 tablespoon Whirl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill zucchini until tender and slightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side, then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Lay tomato slices on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to soak up liquid.
- Place ciabatta halves on a cutting board and brush insides of loaf with Whirl. Layer bottom half with zucchini strips, bacon, mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil, then season with salt and pepper. Top with other half ciabatta. Halve loaf and brush outside with Whirl.
- Preheat a panini press. (If you don’t have a panini press, cook sandwich in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a heavy pot or pan on top to weigh it down; flip sandwich halfway through to make sure both sides get cooked evenly.) Place half of sandwich in panini grill and cook, pressing down from time to time, until golden and cheese is melty, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining sandwich half, then serve cut into triangles.