- 50g Whirl Butter Substitute (plus extra for greasing)
- 25g breadcrumbs
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 300ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 100g grated extra-strong cheddar
- Preparing the soufflé dish: Heat oven to 200C and place a baking sheet on the middle shelf.
- Grease a 15cm soufflé dish generously, then sprinkle in the breadcrumbs and rotate the dish to ensure the Whirl is evenly coated. Tip out any excess breadcrumbs.
- Making a thick white sauce: In a pan, add Whirl over a medium heat; stir in the flour and mustard. Cook, stirring, for 1 min. Take off the heat and gradually stir in the milk, mixing it in thoroughly before adding more. Return to the heat and stir continuously until very thick (around 10 mins).
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Crack the eggs, placing the whites into a clean bowl and stirring the yolks into the sauce. Stir in cheddar and season.
- Adding the egg whites: Use a clean whisk to beat the egg whites until peaks form then gently stir the whipped whites into the white sauce
- Spoon the mixture into the dish. Run a cutlery knife around the edge to create a ‘top hat’ effect; this ensures the soufflé rises above the rim and doesn’t stick.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins until the top is golden and risen and has a slight wobble.